<~~Here we are standing on a marker. This is the 36th parallel of latitude 36 degrees 00 00 N. 3,990 kilo or 2,480 miles north of the equator. Is that cool or what!!
<~~This was in the Japanese gardens. There was a sign that read shoes must be removed before entering. Betty asked if it was religious reasons, I figured the floor was teak so it's to save wear and tear. I guess I'll have to wait for Naomi to answer that one.


1 comment:
Hi, there. To answer your question about taking off your shoes when stepping inside, there isn't a definite historical record of why. At least that I know of. However, when a grass-woven flooring called "tatami" was invented, it was thought to be a space where gods were present, so I guess the removal of shoes was a way to show respect. Another historical idea is how long it took for our roads to become paved. Since a lot of roads in Japan were durt roads for a long time, we needed to figure out a way to keep the house clean. Also, last but not least, how our entrance space is made can play a huge part to this. We have a separate space for an entrance, and the whole house is made a level higher from the ground. Therefore, it seems more of a cleaner/private space separate from outside.
Anyhow, that's pretty much it with what I know. Personally, I can't imagine wearing shoes all the time. My feet will sweat too much. LOL
Post a Comment